What is taking so long?
Crazy, crazy, crazy.
That’s about the only word I’ve been able to come up with lately.
Let’s do a quick review of recent events:
- Fired AG Sally Yates testified that she had warned Trump (urgently) about Flynn.
- FBI Director Comey asked deputy AG Rosenstein for more resources for the Russian investigation.
- Rosenstein and recused AG Sessions recommended to Trump that he fire Comey because of Comey’s handling of the Hillary investigation. (Ha!)
- Trump fired Comey just prior to Comey’s scheduled appearance in front of the Senate Intel Committee.
- Trump met with Russians in the Oval office without U.S. press though Russians kindly provided photos of the event.
- Trump told Lester Holt (and the public) he was going to fire Comey anyway regardless of Rosenstein and Sessions’ recommendations. Because Comey was a showboat. “He’s a showboat? Those are pretty harsh words coming from the Titanic” –
- Trump threatened Comey publicly. “James Comey better hope there are no tapes.“
- Looks like Trump told the Russians some deep, dark secrets during that meeting mentioned in number 5 above.
- Trump admitted publicly to telling those secrets. “As President I wanted to share with Russia (at an openly scheduled W.H. meeting [with no U.S. press present]) which I have the absolute right to do, facts pertaining to terrorism and airline flight safety.”
- Looks like those secrets were Israel’s to share.
- Comey appears to have been a very careful person who documented quite a bit of his conversations.
- Even a few Republicans like Jason Chaffetz (Chaffetz!) are getting a little antsy.
.@GOPoversight is going to get the Comey memo, if it exists. I need to see it sooner rather than later. I have my subpoena pen ready.
— Jason Chaffetz (@jasoninthehouse) May 16, 2017
What have I forgotten?
So how am I feeling about all of this?
This tweet pretty much sums it up:
Think of all the worthy things that get too little attention because Trump is sucking up all our intellectual oxygen…
— Charles M. Blow (@CharlesMBlow) May 16, 2017
And this meme: